Hydrate to feel your best self
Do you find yourself tired even after a great night's sleep? Losing focus when trying to concentrate? Or perhaps you’re highly motivated but still getting little done?
Have you ever asked yourself ‘maybe I’m dehydrated?’
The answer to that question could very likely be yes.
Interestingly, slight dehydration ranging from between 1-2% can have significant effects on your focus, mood and perception of task difficulty. Studies on females have shown that even slight changes in hydration status (1.36%) can have significant physiological effects, after only moderate exercise and at normal temperatures.
You probably already know that when temperatures rise we need more water but staying hydrated is essential no matter what the thermometer says! Oftentimes, individuals wait until they are thirsty or ‘gasping’ before they rehydrate. Continually rehydrating throughout the day is more important, as the negative effects of dehydration can set in long before we start to feel thirsty.
Water accounts for between 55-60% of our body and has many important functions within our body including:
- Regulation of body temperature
- Carries nutrients and oxygen to cells
- Moistens tissues in eyes, nose and mouth
- Aids in keeping your teeth clean and warding off tooth decay, especially because in Ireland our tap water has been fortified with Fluoride.
How much water should we drink a day?
PRO TIP: It is advised that we drink between 2-3L of water per day.
There are a number of things that can also impact the amount of water that we need such as:
- Weight: the more you weigh the more you need to drink
- Temperature: Should you find yourself in a warmer climate or at a higher altitude, you should increase your water intake
- Activity level: The more strenuous exercise you do, the more water you should drink to rehydrate. This will aid in combating water lost through sweat.
An easy way to determine whether you have consumed enough water or not is to monitor the colour of your urine. The darker in colour, the more dehydrated you are. Aim for a clear/straw like colour.
We hope that you found these tips helpful. Remember VITHIT offers the perfect alternative to water packed full of vitamins, low in sugar, low in calories and tastes amazing!
Should you find yourself suffering from prolonged symptoms associated with dehydration, always consult a doctor.
Benton, Hailey; Do small differences in Hydration affect mood and mental performance?
Armstrong et al., Mild dehydration affects mood in healthy young women.
How much water should you drink in a day - Harvard Business Review
Poitras; Even mild dehydration can alter mood